Saturday 15th June 2019, 1.30pm
Our AGM will now coincide with the memorial service for Peter Hurford. The meeting itself will be held at 1.30pm (prompt) in the Chapter Room of the Deanery.
The building works for the new visitors centre will be nearing completion although there is unlikely to be any parking available within the environs of the Cathedral or Deanery.
St Albans Cathedral to Westminster Abbey Sponsored Bike Ride
jointly in aid of St Albans Cathedral Music Trust and the Diamond Fund for Choristers
Saturday 18 May 2019
Do you cycle?
The Friends of Cathedral Music Diamond Fund for Choristers are organising a sponsored bike ride from St Albans Cathedral to Westminster Abbey on Saturday 18th May. Roxanna Panufnik, FCM Patron, led the first Diamond Cycle in 2016 from St George’s Chapel, Windsor, and we are delighted to have been invited to benefit this year. Those riding will be asked to seek sponsorship from friends and family, with the event raising funds for both music in St Albans Cathedral and the Diamond Fund for Choristers, who support choristers nationwide.
It is a ride, not a race! There will be two groups – the faster ‘Zippers’ and the slower ‘Pootlers’ – leaving Sumpter Yard at midday and arriving in the Dean’s Yard at Westminster Abbey somewhere between 3pm and 4pm to a welcome party hosted by the Abbey. The route is approximately 30 miles.
Please join us if you can – not only is it a wonderful cause, but it will be huge fun and fantastic for your fitness! We encourage our Chorister parents, Lay Clerks, ex-Choristers and members of our wider Cathedral community to sign up – some of our Music Trustees have already committed. If you would like to take part, but not on a bike, help with the welcome party would be appreciated too.
- Saturday 18 May 2019, starting at 12 noon from Sumpter Yard, St Albans Cathedral
- Joining fee of £25-£30 per cyclist (tbc, depending on the insurance premium)
- Fee includes your own ‘Cycling for Choristers’ tabard
- Fundraising will be done through a JustGiving page, for which you will be sent the link
- Cyclists must be 14 years or over
- There will be opportunities to break the journey for a drink/snack/comfort break
- Each rider is responsible for their own bike – please note that if something goes wrong and a ride cannot continue, you need someone on standby who can come and collect you
- Westminster Abbey is a short ride from Blackfriars station, for a train home to St Albans
- Full details and route will be sent to you once finalised.
- For information about FCM see – www.fcm.org.uk/diamond-fund-choristers/what-we-do/
Please join us and help support choral music at our Cathedral.
To register your interest, or for any questions, please contact Shirley by 28th February.
Shirley Anderson | St Albans Cathedral Music Trust
01727 890231 | firstname.lastname@example.org
To mark the centenary of the end of the First World War, former ECA chairman Malcolm Bury has organised a concert at St Saviour’s Church, St Albans, on Saturday, 3rd November at 3pm.
It will be performed by Cathedral Consort conducted by Life Member David Ireson. Among the soloists are ECA members Rogers Covey-Crump and Emily Price. The programme includes music by Elgar, Parry, Stanford, Holst, Britten, Faure and MacMillan.
It will be a truly memorable occasion so please support it if you can.
The 2018 ECA Members’ Year Book is available for download.
Download PDF (2.2M)
Dr. Stephen Darlington (one of our Vice Presidents), who was Master of the Music at the Cathedral between 1978 and 1985 is retiring as Director of the Choir at Christ Church, Oxford where he has been for the past 33 years on Saturday 7th July 2018.
Members of the ECA are welcome to attend any of the events planned for the day, which include a cricket match (morning and afternoon sessions), picnic lunch, Evensong and a BBQ.
Further details of the planned events can be found here:
Stephen Darlington Celebration Evensong and BBQ tickets
Christ Church Cathedral School Old Boys
We look forward to seeing many members of our ECA at this unique event.